[pups] Networking With 2.11 BSD and Begemot Emulator

Steven M. Schultz sms at moe.2bsd.com
Fri Oct 6 02:42:05 AEST 2000

Hi -

> From: Greg Lehey <grog at lemis.com>
> > revision 1.1
> > date: 2000/07/20 17:01:10;  author: nsayer;  state: Exp;
> > Add the tap driver.
>
> Ah well, I still haven't used it.

	Neither have I ;)   I thought (for 30 seconds or less) about
	porting it to BSD/OS - it's not that big and didn't appear to be
	overly tricky.

	Only reason I knew about 'tap' was that P11 has support for it and
	a pointer where to fetch 'tap' from.

> > 	The reason for publishing an ARP entry on the hosting system is...
>
> I did that with a static route entry.

	Publishing an ARP entry has the benefit of not needing to wander
	around to all the systems on the LAN (I've several) and add a static
	route.   In my case I don't own/run the local router so I couldn't
	add a static route if I wanted to.   Having the host system
	'arp ... pub' works was the simplest way to deal with the situation.

> As I say, it's not that simple.  I used it without trouble for years.

	Well, i'd have to see it working or have it explained in a bit more
	detail.  Having been thru the DEQNA driver and IP stack in 2.11 I
	can't see how an 11 will communicate with anything over an ethernet
	if it can't perform the IP<->ethernet address mapping.

> Recently something broke, and I suspect it trashed my root file
> system, and I haven't had time to go back and fix it.  Since others

	Ouch!  On the 11 side?  Or on the hosting system's side?

	Steven

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id QAA53881
	for pups-liszt; Fri, 6 Oct 2000 16:12:11 +1100 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)