[pups] STYX and 2.11BSD licensing

Lars J. Buitinck lars at fwn.rug.nl
Sat Apr 7 21:28:07 AEST 2001

Edward Brocklesby wrote:

> Hmm, yes.. would it just ask them to accept the license, or direct them to
> SCO's site, and get them to send back SCO's license code?  I'm really not
> sure of the legal issues surrounding this (or even how much it matters,
> now that it only takes 5 minutes to obtain a license..)

Less than 5 minutes.  I don't know when you got your license, but they
don't even give a code anymore - they just show the license, let you
click "ACCEPT" and you're in their archive.  Just show 'em the license.

> Locking the group file and securely updating it shouldn't be *too* hard, but
> yes, I'd prefer not to have many setuid programs around (I've already done
> a small audit of the code and fixed a couple of security bugs, and removed
> setuid bits from as many programs as possible.. I really wouldn't want someone
> to have root on it, simply because it would allow them to take any IP address
> on the host's network).

And I don't feel like being responsible for anything bad that happens to
your box by a bug in MFSRP - My First SUID Root Program :-)

--
If I traveled to the end of the rainbow
As Dame Fortune did intend,

Lars J. Buitinck

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id XAA53804
	for pups-liszt; Sat, 7 Apr 2001 23:10:51 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)