[pups] STYX and 2.11BSD licensing

Steven M. Schultz sms at moe.2bsd.com
Sun Apr 8 03:00:01 AEST 2001

Hi -

> From: Edward Brocklesby <ejb at leguin.org.uk>
> Hm, I saw the patch archive.. which patchlevel is the 2.11_rp_unknown image
> on minnie at?

	It's ancient.   Look at /VERSION - it should have the current rev
	level:

Current Patch Level: 436
Date: February 22, 2001

	Oh, I see I've number 436 almost ready to publish ;)

> There's a couple of things I'd be interested in adding to 2BSD, though I'm
> not sure if they'd make it into upstream.  One is the 4BSD timezones system,
> which is somewhat better than setting TIMEZONE in the kernel..

	The 4BSD timezone stuff is already there, at least in userland - see
	/usr/share/zoneinfo and 'tic' and so on.

	Since most PDP-11s do not have a "CMOS clock" to get the date and time
	from I'm not sure where the kernel would get its initial date/time
	from.   Some models (11/93) have a TOY clock that could be set to
	GMT, but the other models do not - so the user/admin would have to
	remember to set the date/time to GMT when booting the system.

	Steven Schultz
	moe.2bsd.com

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id IAA56444
	for pups-liszt; Sun, 8 Apr 2001 08:14:24 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)