[pups] STYX and 2.11BSD licensing

Steven M. Schultz sms at moe.2bsd.com
Sun Apr 8 09:17:44 AEST 2001

Hi -

> From: Wolfgang Helbig <helbig at Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
> In UNIX V6/V7 the kernel reads the initial time from the superblock of the
> root file system. The timestamp is written each time the superblock is updated
> on disk.

	2.11 (and as far as I can remember all of the 2BSD family) do the
	same thing.

	The trouble is that the initial time upon boot can be seriously wrong.

	For example I haven't booted my 11/73 in a month or two - the date and
	time will be sometime in Jan or Feb.

	In the "PC" world there's the CMOS clock (set to GMT on all the systems
	I have) and a battery - when the system boots it can read the
	correct/current/GMT date/time from the hardware (as can a 11/93 with
	a TOY clock).

> BTW. in V6, the timezone offset was not coded into the kernel, but
> in the C-library source ctime.c. If you happen to live outside

	Yep - I had hoped to never have to remember _that_ again ;)

> Putting the timezone offset into the kernel like in V7 seems to be
> better, because you don't have to recompile all those commands.

	Right.

	It is only one module in the kernel (param.c) that needs to
	be recompiled - just edit param.c and that's the only module that will
	be rebuilt.

	Another way is to use 'adb -w -k ...' and patch the kernel and/or
	memory.

	Steven Schultz
	sms at moe.2bsd.com

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id CAA61234
	for pups-liszt; Mon, 9 Apr 2001 02:18:54 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)