[pups] Ken_Welsch_v6 and Dennis_v6

Ken Wellsch kwellsch at tampabay.rr.com
Sun Apr 15 03:05:49 AEST 2001

I always wondered why when booting the image it did not print the
notice so often displayed with V6.  I've not looked at the physical
tape this image was pulled from in many years, but I cannot imagine
the fine folks at the University of Waterloo (where I worked for
many years) would have changed anything.  So I would gather from
your detective work that based on dates, this tape just predates
that provided by Dennis Richie by such a short time?  I do know
that the physical paper label on the tape was hand written.  Not
the typed sort I expected with any sort of (c) notice or anything.

-- Ken

Wolfgang Helbig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm referring to the Ken_Welsch_v6 description in
>         http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/TUHS/Archive/PDP-11/Distributions/DETAILS
>
> The Ken Welsch tape differs from the Dennis disks only in the "RESTRICTED RIGHTS"-
> statement that was put into /usr/sys/ken/main.c on October 10th 1975 EDT.
> The binaries that depend on this change, were rebuilt (usr/sys/lib1 and the
> kernels in /) and thus show the same modification date.
>
> All other files from the Ken Welsch tape bear a timestamp between May 14th 1975
> and July 18th 1975.
>
> After installation from the Ken Welsch tape onto a (simulated) RK-disk
> the date(1) command displays:
>         October 10 12:29:51 EDT 1975
> (which in Australia is October 11th. That might explain, why the
> dates given in the DETAILS file are off by one)
>
> Wolfgang

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id EAA17130
	for pups-liszt; Sun, 15 Apr 2001 04:53:12 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)