[pups] V6 and Supnik-simulator

Markus E Leypold leypold at informatik.uni-tuebingen.de
Tue Apr 17 21:51:14 AEST 2001

 > Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 19:08:32 +0200 (CEST)
 > From: Wolfgang Helbig <helbig at Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE>
 > Sender: owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
 >
 > Hi,
 >
 > If the following  README sounds interesting to you, maybe we can
 > arrange to put a tar ball of it onto minnie?
 >
 > I also prepared postscript files of the V6-documentation.
 > Anyone interested?

Yes, me in example :-). I wonder wether you could give them to dmr to be
placed just at the side of the v7 docs, or wether you could put it
into the archive?

Regards -- Markus

> [...]
 >
 > ctable: A bug in the input table for the C-compiler code generator is fixed.
 > ctime:	Some y2k related changes to V6.
 > dcheck: Bug fix and enhancement of dcheck.
 > dist:	The V6 distribution tape: dist.README explains how to install
 > 	and setup UNIX-V6 with the simulator. The file dist.enb is missing
 > 	for copyright and space reasons, you have to prepare it yourself.
 > 	(see enb.README).
 > dotdot: Kernel enhancement: If in a root directoy of a mounted filesystem,
 > 	let ".." mean the parent of the mount point, not the root directory.
 > enb:	Conventions and usage of .enb files. Explains how to
 > 	prepare tape files for the Supnik simulator and tells you
 > 	how to prepare the V6 distribution tape.
 > ludiv:	Derivation of a double word unsigned division algorithm, which is used
 > 	in ctime. (no corresponding .enb)
 > man:	The man command, which was missing from the distribution, and some
 > 	changes to make V6-nroff output readable on an xterm.
 >
 > So enb.README and dist.README are the next files you should read.
 >
 > If you have questions or find bugs or whatever, mail to
 > 	helbig at informatik.ba-stuttgart.de
 >
 > Last but not least I thankfully acknowledge the work of the people
 > who talked SCO into offering the ancient-UNIX source license, who collected
 > the old distribution tapes and run the PUPS Archive. And of course I thank
 > Bob Supnik for this great simulator!
 >
 > Second README:
 > This directory contains some documentation as found on the UNIX V6
 > Distribution tape. The files were converted to postscript with
 > groff and the usage of the V6 ms-macro package. (See the print
 > shell script)
 >
 > Assembler:				as.ps		(*)
 > Beginners Guide:			beg.ps		(*)
 > C-Language Reference:			c.ps		(***)
 > C-Tutorial:				ctut.ps		(**)
 > ED-Tutorial:				ed.ps		(*)
 > Summary of UNIX:			hel.ps		(*)
 > Description of the C-IO-Library:	iolib.ps	()
 > Description of the kernel IO/Subsystem:	iosys.ps	(**)
 > Some thought about security:		secur.ps	(*)
 > Instruction how to install V6 from tape:start.ps	(***)
 > Table of Contents of the Online Manual	toc.ps		(**)
 > Overview of UNIX (ACM-paper)		unix.ps		(***)
 > YACC - yet another compiler compiler	yacc.ps		()
 >
 > The more stars the more useful for the OS course. Two or more stars
 > indicate high recommended!
 >
 > >From the V7-distribution I included "A tour through the UNIX-C-Compiler"
 > (ctour.ps), which describes the internal workings of the said
 > compiler. The format and meaning of /usr/sources/c/table.s is
 > particular interesting reading if you want to learn about how a
 > compiler generates machine code.
 >
 > The shell script "print" can be used to format the *.ps files.
 > (on a contemporary UNIX system with groff)
 >
 > The file tmac.s contains V6-ms macros, which are used by some of
 > the doc files.
 >
 > Some of the V6 doc files needed to be adopted to groff to render
 > acceptable output. But the 25 year old troff sources were amazingly

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id WAA36286
	for pups-liszt; Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:02:15 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)