[pups] Maximum PDP-11 executable size?

Edward Brocklesby ejb at leguin.org.uk
Fri Apr 20 14:12:58 AEST 2001

On Friday 20 April 2001  3:42 am, Steven M. Schultz wrote:
> 	the single BIGGEST problem is that 'data + bss' exceeds not only the
> 	56KB limit but the total 64KB limit available to a process.  Looks
> 	like MH want 35860+32412 or 68272 bytes of D space.
>
> 	You might be able to get the code to fit - I'd pack the base to at
> 	least 40KB (more likely 48KB) and only have two or three overlays
> 	of 24KB or 16KB.

The problem appears to be `libmh.a', which alone has 30K text + 22K data +
24K bss (77444 total).  Any way around this? I've tried all the combinations
i can think of, to no avail..

> 	One thing that can be done is to run 'xstr' over the sources and
> 	collect error message strings, printf strings, and so on into a common
> 	pool.   The other thing that can be done is create a strings file
> 	and extract as many as possible strings from the source modules into
> 	an external file.   Examples of doing this type of thing can be found
> 	in the source tree - 'lint' was one such program, 'sendmail' was another
> 	and kermit yet another (that's why there are 'sendmail.sr'  and
> 	'kermit5.sr' files on the system).

hmm... a lot of work just to get MH working.

> > ld: too big for type 431 (problem 2: tsize = 0, ovrnd = -32768, dtotal =
> > 0)
> >
> > the negative ovrnd i find very strange- perhaps the wrapround bug?
>
> 	Hmmm, could be.

Could be i used the wrong printf format also..

> 	"size libmh.a" will give a much better idea where the problem areas
> 	are.

unfortunately, size doesn't appear to work on archive libraries.

	-larne-

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id PAA58237
	for pups-liszt; Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:01:25 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)