FW: [pups] A bootable disk image for a PDP-11/34?

Carl Lowenstein cdl at mpl.ucsd.edu
Fri Feb 2 10:22:10 AEST 2001

 pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
> From mayhew at altavista.com Thu Feb  1 14:31 PST 2001
> Date: 1 Feb 2001 14:30:43 -0800
> To: cdl at mpl.ucsd.edu
> From: Bill Mayhew <mayhew at altavista.com>
> Cc: pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au
> Subject: Re: FW: [pups] A bootable disk image for a PDP-11/34?
>
> This is a real stretch for my brain, but I seem to recall that the
> ";" that appeared in ";login:" in the 1970s was sort-of "bleed-through"
> from an escape sequence that was intended to do cursor positioning
> and/or screen-clearing on some terminals... or something like that...
> therefore its absence would not necessarily be significant on different
> hardware.

Oh, yes.  I was just hiding my previous knowledge.  The ";" and ":" in
the login prompt were the visible part of escape sequences to control a
Teletype KSR37.  They didn't do anything useful on a VT05 but did show
up on the screen.

Unix Sixth Edition predates the common availability of even the dumbest
CRT terminals.  There are still a lot of TTY37 control codes hanging
around in nroff output.

    carl

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id BAA43985
	for pups-liszt; Sat, 3 Feb 2001 01:17:03 +1100 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)