[pups] creating disk images

Carl Lowenstein cdl at mpl.ucsd.edu
Thu Feb 22 07:35:50 AEST 2001

> From owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au Wed Feb 21 09:46 PST 2001
> Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 12:29:48 -0500 (EST)
> From: Bill Gunshannon <bill at cs.scranton.edu>
> Subject: [pups] creating disk images
>
> I know it is probably simple, but my experience is with the real
> thing and this is the first time I have tried to do anything but
> play with one of the emulators.
>
> How do you create new blank disk images for the Supnik emulator??
> In particular, I am trying to create some RM03's to give me more
> room to work with Ultrix-11.  I am trying to make some install
> kits on different media so that more people will be able to get
> it, not only on emulators, but also on real machines, where it
> is much more fun.  :-)

I have done it with

	dd if=/dev/zero of=newdisk.dsk bs=1k count=10240

to make 10MB RL02 images.  Followed by the lightly-documented
step in the Supnik emulator of attaching the disk image and writing
the badblock table.  Followed by (for RT11) INIT/NOQ DL1

Corresponding for a Unix system would be mkfs(8) or newfs(8),
whichever you have.

I think it is only the RL disks that need the badblock step.

     carl
--
        carl lowenstein         marine physical lab     u.c. san diego
        {decvax|ucbvax} !ucsd!mpl!cdl                 cdl at mpl.ucsd.edu
                                                  clowenstein at ucsd.edu

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id LAA02015
	for pups-liszt; Thu, 22 Feb 2001 11:30:33 +1100 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)