[pups] Re: new VTserver (was DZ-11 driver)

Warren Toomey wkt at henry.cs.adfa.edu.au
Tue Jan 30 14:25:17 AEST 2001

In article by Robin Birch:
> Warren,
> Why not do this as a terminal emulator that can switch into emulating a
> tape drive by some start/stop messaging using the console device.  You
> could upload a simple bootstrap using ODT that could then read a more
> complex boot driver in.  If you use the console then that shoud be
> universal across all PDP11s.
>
> Robin

Done! See http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/Vtserver and
http://minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au/Vtserver/vtserver/vtreadme.html
for details.

At the present I have Ersatz-2.0 running as a PDP-11/34A, one RK05 and
just the console. I have my tape server connected to the serial console
line, and I'm bringing in an RK05 disk image:

Virtual tape server, $Revision: 2.0 $
Running command stty -f /dev/ttyid1 9600 cs8 clocal -crtscts

Tape records are:
   0 tinyboot
   1 copy
   2 root.img

Opening port /dev/ttyd1 .... Port open

E11>show cpu
Emulation:  PDP-11/34a, FP11A
  NOASR, NOCCR, NOCDR, NOCHR, NOCMDR, NOCPUERR, NOCSM, NODSPACE, NODUALREGSET,
  NODESTFIRST, EIS, NOFPBACKOUT, FPP, NOHALT4, NOJMPPLUS2, JMP4, NOKTJ11B,
  NOMBR, NOMFPT, NOMMTRAPS, MMU, NOMMU22, NOMR, NOMSEA, NOMSER, MXPS, ODD,
  NOPARCSR, NOPCR, NOPIRQ, PSWIO, NOQBUS, NOSIZE, NOSPL, SR, NOSR1, NOSTACKLIM,
  NOSUPMODE, NOSYSID, NOTSTSET, UNDOAUTO, NOUMAP
Host:  Cyrix 486, NPX
E11>g 70000

Opened tinyboot
 rrrrrrrrrrrrrr EOF

40tinyboot from virtual tape server
Load tape record: 1

Opened copy
 rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrcopy
Infile: vt(0,0,2)
Outfile: rk(0,0,0)

Opened root.img
 rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
100K sent
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

So no need for DZ-11, but many thanks to Norman, John and others who
wrote code for me. I'll probably still try to add DZ-11 support.

Cheers,
	Warren

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id PAA19994
	for pups-liszt; Tue, 30 Jan 2001 15:44:56 +1100 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)