[pups] Re: New Release of VTserver program

Jay Jaeger cube1 at home.com
Sat Mar 31 13:38:04 AEST 2001

Well, I had mixed success on a PDP-11/24.

First off, a couple of bugs.

In vtserver.c in the code that loads the bootstrap via console odt, the "C"
format strings have "%6o".  These need to be changed to "%6.6o" to make it
work on my 11/24.  Otherwise you get leading spaces.

Also, the code that sends an entire ODT command in one "write()" fails.  I
had to change that (and the one that sends the "G" command) into a loop
where I wrote just one character, and then read back one character that the
11/24 echoed.  Otherwise it just hung.

I suspect both of these changes would fix problems on some machines and
would not harm any others.

So, I got around that, and the standalone loaded.  (Hooray)  But.....

When I tried to use my RK07 as input ( hk(0,0,0) , I got an error:  sc=1
cs2=64 er=40  .  Upon examination,  HKCS1 bit 10 was indeed off (indicating
an RK611 controller) whereas the RK07 bit for the drive at +12(octal) was
set ON.  So, the error itself is not unreasonable.  But....

I looked at the code in hk.c, and tried it manually after resetting the
machine, and the code should be getting the expected drive error when it
first tries to address it as an RK06.  That should cause it to switch to
thinking it is an RK07, but something is going haywire.  And, if I boot a
pack, the boot code correctly figures out that it is an RK07 (when I look
after it reads the boot block off of a garbage pack, Bit 10 in HKCS1 is
indeed on).

So, my guess is that the code in hk.c is busted in some way.

Are there "2.11BSD for dummies under an emulator" instructions somewhere,
so that I could hardwire hk.c to an RK07 temporarily?  Or, perhaps can
someone point me to the physical memory addresses in hk.c so I could just
patch the array to tell it I have 2 RK07's ahead of time, rather than
having it attempt to auto-detect the drive type?

Haaaaaaaaaaaaalp  8~)

Jay Jaeger
---
Jay R. Jaeger					The Computer Collection
cube1 at home.com			visit http://members.home.net/thecomputercollection

	by minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au (8.9.3/8.9.3) id RAA10752
	for pups-liszt; Sat, 31 Mar 2001 17:55:53 +1000 (EST)
	(envelope-from owner-pups at minnie.cs.adfa.edu.au)