[pups] 2.11BSD on non separate I&D systems?

Fred N. van Kempen Fred.van.Kempen at microwalt.nl
Thu Aug 8 18:17:15 AEST 2002

Hi,

> Has anyone done anything to try and get 2.11BSD working
> on non-separate I&D PDP-11s?
>
> One of the various READMEs I ran across said it might be possible
> with some creative memory layouts using overlays.
>
> I briefly searched the PUPS mail archives but turned up
> nothing.
No way.  It already relies heavily on overlays to get things
done.  Even without the networking code (which requires I&D,
*and* Supervisor mode), there is pretty much no way to get it
to fit (even a small system) within a 64K space.

If you really need a UNIX that (slowly ;-) fits in the nonID
space, ytu Ultrix-11.  That fits, although its very slow on such
machines.

Cheers,
	Fred