[pups] Unix on a PDP-11/24

Ian King iking at microsoft.com
Wed Aug 14 05:27:54 AEST 2002

You could also run Unix v6, if you're of a historical bent; 2.9BSD
should run with no problems; and possibly v7, if you have the 22-bit
address bus and enough RAM.  Keep in mind that if there isn't a
distribution for your machine, you can build one on an emulator, then
create a disk image.  However, with v6 I ran the 11/40 image on an 11/34
and was able to rebuild for my hardware.

Warren wrote a neat tool to get bits onto a machine over a serial line;
it takes a while (at 9600 baud!), but it works.  Look on the PUPS site
under VTserver; don't worry that there probably isn't an installation
package for a given version or machine, there's a way to run a small
client on a PC that can talk to a bootstrap on the target machine.  --
Ian

DISCLAIMER: Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain - or to my
email address.  These rantings are my personal statements, and not a
product of my employer.