[TUHS] Re: Porting Unix v6 to i386

Lauri Aarnio Lauri.Aarnio at nixu.com
Fri Feb 1 04:45:03 AEST 2002

In message <02013117091301.00697 at linux>, Sven Dehmlow writes:
>On Thursday 31 January 2002 12:00, P.A.Osborne wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 31, 2002 at 11:18:06AM +0200, Lauri Aarnio wrote:
>> > Have you considered using Tanenbaum's Minix as a reference ?
>>
>> Funnily enough - no.  Which was a tad daft as I have a copy
>> of the original Tanenbaum book on a shelf about 2 feet above
>> the monitor....  :-)   sheepish grin
>>

>Good than it will be easy for you to take a look into this book and
>to find out that Minix is a microkernel. You want to code a
>monolithic kernel.

It doesn't matter at all if it is a microkernel or not, if somebody
just needs a reference implementation; How device drivers work or how
the '286 memory management needs to be set up is practically the same;
what matters is that Minix runs in 16-bit protected mode whereas
Linux and *BSD don't.

	Lauri