[TUHS] Re: Porting Unix v6 to i386

Jeffrey S. Sharp jss at subatomix.com
Thu Feb 7 02:36:42 AEST 2002

On Tue, 5 Feb 2002, P.A.Osborne wrote:

> Instead we should aim at getting a "1970s version of Unix" running on a
> PC.  So initially the teletype becomes the screen and the keyboard and
> the disk unit becomes say the floppy drive.
>
> Later things can be expanded to talk IDE/SCSI whatever - but at that
> point you are evolving the "1970s version of Unix" on a stage further -

Screen => console tty is obvious.  But why do you insist on the floppy
drive as the storage medium?

The floppy drive subsystem has drives and a controller with a certain
programatic interface.  The IDE/SCSI subsystem has drives and a controller
with a certain programatic interface.  They're the same kind of thing.
Why is one more guilty of evolving the 1970s version of UNXI?

I think that a floppy might make a good RK03/05 (capacity differences
aside), but why not implement some RP drives with hard drives of even zip
drives?

--
Jeffrey S. Sharp
jss at subatomix.com