[TUHS] Legal ramifications putting certain things on my web site?

Michael Davidson MichaelDavidson at pacbell.net
Mon Feb 18 16:01:07 AEST 2002

"Derrik Walker v2.0" wrote:

> I've started porting some of the old UNIX programs to Mac OS X.  I've
> got about 1/2 the games, that should be ok, but I also have other things
> like crypt and makekey.  I'd like to make these available in binary
> form, but I don't want the men in black knocking  at my door either...
>
> Any thoughts?

Assuming that you are in the US you might want to put some kind of
blanket disclaimer on your web site - something like the one at:

http://gatekeeper.dec.com/hypertext/info/export-controls.html

which essentially says that it is the responsibility of people
downloading stuff from your site to ensure that they comply with
any and all export regulations.

I am not a lawyer and have no idea whether this kind of statement
actually gives you any real protection but obviously someone at
DEC once thought that it did ...