[TUHS] v7 upgrade

Rhys Weatherley rweather at zip.com.au
Tue Feb 19 18:01:02 AEST 2002

Warren Toomey wrote:

> Strangely enough, I took a slightly different tack than you did to obtain
> the same result. Have a look at Apout at
> ftp://minnie.tuhs.org/pub/PDP-11/Sims/Apout/README

Nice.  Both approaches have their uses.

I'm interested in how upgrading the code will make it more
accessible to people wishing to study OS design, by enabling
it to compile natively for modern hardware.  It's difficult to
"fiddle" with the code when running via emulation.

I forgot to mention in my previous message that I've also
got the userland compiling with bcc (Bruce's C Compiler),
outputting 8086 binaries.  This should help those who want
to port v7 to 8086.

Besides, it's fun to mess with this old code.  I'm quite
impressed that there's been very few problems upgrading
the userland to run on 32-bit CPU's.

Cheers,

Rhys.