[TUHS] Re: Porting Unix v6 to i386

Johnny Billquist bqt at update.uu.se
Thu Jan 31 05:50:31 AEST 2002

On Wednesday 30 January 2002 10:18, P.A.Osborne wrote:
> Having had a rummage and a chat with acolleague here at
> UKC - it seems that V6 will be easier than V7,  partially because
> of the Lions commentary - but mainly because 286 protected mode
> gives a very similar handling on memory management as the PDP did.

What a silly argument. V6 and V7 both run on the PDP-11, so the memory
management hardware used by them both are the same.

And while I'm not familiar with the 286 protected mode, I have heard
people before claim that it is horrendous compared to the MMU on the
PDP-11.

	Johnny

email: bqt at update.uu.se           ||  Reading murder books