[pups] Mert (was PWB licensing)

Thor Lancelot Simon tls at rek.tjls.com
Fri Mar 8 05:27:19 AEST 2002

On Thu, Mar 07, 2002 at 08:01:52PM +0100, Lars Buitinck wrote:
> silly question: what are MERT and RT anyway?
> all the timelines list them, but not one actually expands the acronym.

Early realtime variants of Unix.  I don't think it's correct to state
that MERT "never made it outside the Labs" -- wasn't dMERT ("duplex
MERT") the original operating system for the multiprocessor 3B20 in
the #4 and #5ESS telephone switches?  Indeed, vestiges of this use
have crept into more modern AT&T Unix releases; for instance, there
are references to MERT system call and signal numbers in various SVR4
header files.

 Thor Lancelot Simon	                                      tls at rek.tjls.com