[pups] Interesting PDP/Xenix History

Robert Tillyard rob at vetsystems.com
Mon Mar 25 20:38:20 AEST 2002

Frank Wortner wrote:

> on 3/23/02 11:26 PM, Warren Toomey at wkt at minnie.tuhs.org wrote:
>
> > In article by Martin Crehan:
> >>  From a thread on Slashdot about Microsoft's Ancient History w/Unix
> >> http://slashdot.org/articles/02/03/23/1422243.shtml?tid=130
> >>
> >>   First Unix/Xenix (Score:1)
> >> by presearch on Saturday March 23, @01:58PM (#3213453)
> >> (User #214913 Info)
> >
> > I've left a comment in the thread asking if they would
> > donate a copy of the tape's contents to our Archive.
>
> I also remember running PDP/11 Xenix.  The article is basically correct,
> although Microsoft (or HCR) did add a working paging system that enabled
> simulation of split I&D on small PDP/11s like the 11/23, 11/34, and 11/40.
> I also remember that my copy of the installation document had been printed
> by Microsoft's PDP/10 (referred to as the "Microsoft Heating Plant" :-) in
> the printout).   I wish I still had the tape and that printout.  Sigh ...
>
> --
> Frank

Would SCO->Caldera have copies of this? SCO did the Intel port of Xenix
so they would probably have started with the PDP source. Would tapes be
copyright to Microsoft?

I doubt that they would release the source for the Intel version as it
is still in use today although I don't think that SCO/Caldera will sell
it anymore.

Rob.