[pups] Interesting PDP/Xenix History

Lars Buitinck lars at fwn.rug.nl
Thu Mar 28 09:24:11 AEST 2002

I'm getting really confused with all these companies.  If I understand
correctly...

AT&T/Western Electric sold UNIX rights to Microsoft.
Microsoft had HCR develop XENIX from V7.
SCO licensed XENIX from Microsoft.
SCO then subsubsublicensed XENIX to various vendors.

Please correct me.  I must be wrong.

(What happened to our MERT discussion anyway? :-)

Long & winding PS.: I read this really cute book about Linux at my local
library some time ago.  It discussed UNIX, Linux, their relation, and the
current state of affairs when it was written -- in 1994.  The book
started out with an etymology of XENIX, which would have been derived
from Dutch "'k Zie niks," meaning "I don't see a thing" -- the first
thing Dutch users uttered when XENIX booted.
Last year, I talked to a fellow member of the HCC (Hobby Computer Club)
UNIX gg (gebruikersgroep, user group) who remembered his worst
experience with UNIX -- having to use XENIX.  He was still shocked by its
Microsoftian performance.