[TUHS] Re: Porting Unix v6 to i386

Peter Jeremy peter.jeremy at alcatel.com.au
Mon Mar 4 06:14:48 AEST 2002

On 2002-Mar-03 13:51:25 +0100, Cyrille Lefevre <cyrille.lefevre at laposte.net> wrote:
>Mike Haertel wrote:
>> >Anyhow I have started gathering the tools (Watcom C compiler now
>> >open source and free!  www.openwatcom.org)
>>
>> They have announced that it *will be* open source and free,
>> but so far as far as I can tell there is nothing available
>> at openwatcom.org except a binary-only patch to upgrade
>> the last commercial version 11 to 11.0c.
>>
>> So, it isn't yet.  Right now it's just vaporware.
>
>as of march 2002, try the download page to get the "binary" compiler.
>
>	http://www.openwatcom.com/download.html

For several years now, Sybase has been announcing that it will release
the source code to its C/C++ and FORTRAN compilers.  This is _still_
vaporware.  Their latest press release suggests that they have decided
on a License - but won't even make that public at present.

You can download a Windoze executable, but that is not of much use for
Unix.  And the size of the download suggests that there will need to
be a fair bit of work to make it run natively in a 16-bit environment.

At this time, the only open-source 16-bit x86 C compiler I know of is
Bruce Evans' C compiler (bcc).

Peter