[TUHS] Re: ancient unix filesystems

Stuart Norris s.norris at auckland.ac.nz
Mon May 6 13:59:43 AEST 2002

On Mon, 6 May 2002 tuhs-request at minnie.tuhs.org wrote:

> From: Warren Toomey <wkt at minnie.tuhs.org>
>
> Sven, you might want to look at this:
> http://minnie.tuhs.org/cgi-bin/pups.cgi?article=2170
>
>   From: Stuart Norris <norris at euler.mech.eng.usyd.edu.au>
>
>  I have hacked together a version of a Unix 5th (and 6th)
>  Edition filesystem for Linux. It is read only, and was written for
>  Linux 2.0 on an x86 and so will require a little work to install on
>  other systems and newer kernels, but it is fun to be able to mount
>  old disk images.

The source code is sitting on

	http://www.esc.auckland.ac.nz/People/Staff/Norris/src/u5e-0.2.tar.gz

and the INTRO file contains a description of the filesystem. I don't think
it works with current Linux kernels (I havn't touched it for a long while),
so it might be easiest to start afresh using the minix filesystem module
as a start.

Briefly, the filesystem is like

--

* Block size:	512

* General layout:
  Block 0			boot block
  Block 1			super block
  Blocks 2 -> isize-1		inodes
  Blocks isize -> fsize-1	data blocks

* Byte ordering of "short" (16 bit entities) is little endian 0 1

* Byte ordering of "long" (32 bit entities) is PDP-11 2 3 0 1

* Inode on disk: "short"
	0	means non-existent
	1	root dir

* Maximum number of hard links to a file:	256

* Super-block location: bytes 512-1023

* Super-block layout:
	unsigned short  s_isize;     /* size in blocks of I list */
	unsigned short  s_fsize;     /* size in blocks of entire volume */
	unsigned short  s_nfree;     /* number of in core free blocks (0-100) */
	unsigned short  s_free[100]; /* in core free blocks */
	unsigned short  s_ninode;    /* number of in core I nodes (0-100) */
	unsigned short  s_inode[100];/* in core free I nodes */
	char            s_flock;     /* lock during free list manipulation */
	char            s_ilock;     /* lock during I list manipulation */
	char            s_fmod;      /* super block modified flag */
	char            s_ronly;     /* mounted read-only flag */
	unsigned long   s_time;      /* current date of last update */

* Inode layout:
	unsigned short i_mode;    /* access permissions */
	unsigned char  i_nlink;   /* number of links to file */
	unsigned char  i_uid;     /* owner */
	unsigned char  i_gid;     /* group */
	unsigned char  i_size0;   /* size of file */
	unsigned short i_size1;
	unsigned short i_addr[8];/* address of blocks */
	unsigned long  i_atime;  /* time of last access */
	unsigned long  i_mtime;  /* time of last modification */

* Regular file data blocks are organized as
	if (010000 bit set)
		the file is large:
		i_addr[] contains indirect blocks
	else
		the file is small:

* Inode size 32, 16 inodes per block

* Directory entry on disk
	unsigned short inode;
	char name[14];

* Dir entry size 16, 32 dir entries per block

* There are no symbolic links

--
Stuart Norris                                          s.norris at auckland.ac.nz
Bioengineering Institute, University of Auckland    hm: +(64 9) 307 0006