[pups] Ultrix-3.1 boot tape inside the PDP-11 distribution directory

Fred N. van Kempen Fred.van.Kempen at microwalt.nl
Tue Oct 15 09:08:40 AEST 2002

Gregg,

> Question 1) Has anyone actually followed the instructions and
> description of same, found inside the readme file found in the
> directory?
Yes.  They are a cut-and-paste log of my actual screens, although I
can't
remember exactly what was in the file.

> Question 2) Was this on actual hardware? Or inside the Simh simulator?
> Or even with one version of E11?
I did installs on real hardware (MicroPDP-11/23 and MicroPDP-11/83), and
on Ersatz-11 (V3.0) for DOS.

> In my case this will be inside the Simh simulator, and I am basically
> working straight from the beginning. If all goes well, I'll move it to
> the E11 one.
Ultrix-11 runs fine on SimH, with the "downs" that because SimH does not
do detailed and correct CPU emulation, Ultrix gets confuzed every now
and
then, which does not happen with E11.

I am preparing a new (V3.2) release of Ultrix-11 which has major
changes,
including:

- full system regeneration off single source tree
- full RAxx support
- addition of VTserver, TDU and compress
- compressed manual pages and documentation
- Y2K support (not just date(1) ;-)

The installation procedure has also changed to a more modern style.  I
don't have much time right now, so progress is slow.  The above is
"done",
though.

If you need help with Ultrix-11, pse contact me off-list.

--fred