[TUHS] Ultrix...

Ian King iking at microsoft.com
Fri Sep 6 11:27:06 AEST 2002

I agree with your premise that copyright can be detrimental to broader interests, and the case of "obsolete but historically interesting" software is a prime case in point.  However, copyright holders can choose to make things readily available without placing them in the public domain; the 'Ancient UNIX' license is a great example.  If they choose not to do so, the law does allow them recourse.  I doubt they would consume the resources to execute on that against individuals who are running old software for non-commercial purposes; I suspect that those who commit such indiscretions wholesale may not be treated with such latitude.

And, IMHO, those who baldly advertise their general disdain of copyright law are pretty much asking for it.  -- Ian

My opinions are my own, and do not necessarily represent my employer's opinions.