[TUHS] PDP11/34 boot problems, here i am again :)

asbesto asbesto at freaknet.org
Wed Apr 16 07:22:42 AEST 2003

Il Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 12:42:24PM -0700, Carl Lowenstein rigurgitava:

> While you probably _do_ have a real hardware problem with the broken
> IC, I think that the red Parity Error light on first turn-on is normal
> behavior.  The MOS memory comes up with random values, and about half
> of them will have the wrong parity.  Some software routine must turn
> off parity error detection and write a known data pattern (all 0's) to
> each memory location.  I don't remember whether this is something that
> is done by the boot ROM of an 11/34.

hmmm
but running any code on the pdp11/34 (specifically, some boot
code) will also result in the red light turn off and on again :(

--
[asbesto : freaknet medialab : radio#cybernet : GPG key on  keyservers]
[ MAIL ATTACH, SPAM, HTML, WORD, and msgs larger than 95K > /dev/null ]