[TUHS] Copyright notices in Edition 5, removed in Edition 6

Larry J. Blunk ljb at merit.edu
Wed Dec 24 16:05:36 AEST 2003

On 12/24/03 00:31:27, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> I think that one thing complicating the state of this code is that
> the
> Uruguay Treaty restored many copyrights to many copyright holders who
> had failed to put a notice in their works.  However, derivitive works
> done while in the public domain would still belong to the folks that
> did them, if I read things correctly.

  I found a document addressing the Uruguay Treaty at
http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ38b.pdf.   It seems it only
applies to certain foreign works (non-US) that were previously
considered public domain in the US.

  In case you haven't guessed, I'm thinking about the various include
files in the Linux kernel that SCO has claimed infringes on their
copyrights.  Many of the defines and comments seem to have originated
in Unix Edition 7 and earlier. For example,

errno.h - http://minnie.tuhs.org/UnixTree/Nsys/sys/nsys/user.h.html
  and  http://minnie.tuhs.org/UnixTree/V5/usr/source/s4/errlst.c.html

signal.h - http://minnie.tuhs.org/UnixTree/Nsys/sys/nsys/param.h.html

ioctl.h