[TUHS] Copyright notices in Edition 5, removed in Edition 6

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Wed Dec 24 19:09:43 AEST 2003

On Wed, Dec 24, 2003 at 03:17:57AM -0500, Norman Wilson wrote:
>>   As I understand it, Editions 7 and 32V could have had copyright
>>   protection without registration since they were released after
>>   1978.  However, because they lacked copyright notices when
>>   released, they may very well be considered public domain....
>
> Notwithstanding other comments about the history, for practical purposes
> none of this matters for Seventh Edition and 32V and anything earlier,
> because Caldera (as it then was) open-licensed them in January 2002;
> see http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Caldera-license.pdf.

About 2 years ago, Dennis Ritchie sent me a long e-mail explaining why
certain releases of UNIX, and 32V in particular, did not have any
copyright notices. When I get back from holidays, I'll see if Dennis
will let me forward the information here.

> Among those whose work produced ... the current BSD-like license,
> was Warren Toomey, who manages that web server and this mailing list.
> I don't think it will give him a swollen head (or a wooden leg) to
> thank him now and then, and I do so here.

It does make me go Owwww sometimes, especially with this SCO thing.

Have a good and safe Christmas, all.

	Warren