[pups] Bootable media for 2.11BSD

Ian King iking at killthewabbit.org
Fri Feb 7 18:18:37 AEST 2003

I think I've done enough homework and legwork to feel like I can ask the
list a question now.  :-)  I've acquired an 11/73 and want to install
2.11BSD on it; it includes a TK50 and RX33.  I also have a DECstation
5000/200 with a TK50, so my first efforts were to dd the files onto a tape.
Depending on how I hacked around, I either got a "non-bootable media" error
or "Error 21 - drive error".  The two ways I tried to put the boot files on
were per the instructions (cat mtboot mtboot boot | dd), and not per the
instructions (dd mtboot, dd mtboot, dd boot).  Depending on how I hacked
around, I either got a "non-bootable media" error or "Error 21 - drive
error" from the boot ROM monitor.

With no way to troubleshoot the TK50 drive, I then tried to put at least a
boot sector on a 1.2MB floppy, using rawrite on a PC; I copied mtboot +
mtboot + boot to an intermediate file, then used rawrite to put that on the
floppy.  I got the same "Error 21".

The machine also has a working RD54 containing Micro/RSX and some
proprietary software for managing a parking lot.  :-)  I can boot to an RSX
prompt (although I can't log in, having none of the passwords), so most of
the machine appears to be working.

While there's a stubborn side that wants to figure out how to build bootable
media :-) I'd also be happy at this point to get a copy of a bootable TK50;
I have blank tapes....  Either way, I hope someone can point me in the right
direction.  Thanks in advance -- Ian