[pups] 2.11 on an 11/44

Bill Gunshannon bill at cs.scranton.edu
Fri Feb 28 03:33:25 AEST 2003

On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Johnny Billquist wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Bill Gunshannon wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 27 Feb 2003, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> >
> > > What do you see at boot time? Does it show all three RL02s and the
> > > mscp-controller along with disks?
> >
> > Actually, I am surprised by the lack of information provided.  I guess
> > the newer BSD's have spoiled me.  :-)
>
> [stuff deleted...]
>
> Hmmm. It's been a while since I ran 2.11, but I'm pretty sure you should
> see something about the controller at boot. That it attaches, it's csr and
> what vector it will use. The same way you observe the RL11 controller.

Hmmmm.  Curious.  I looked at the conf for GENERIC and it had all the
disks.  Maybe I need to build a kernel under SIMH and then move it over
to the real box.  Should be a trip, I've never built a kernel under 2.x.
Wonder how close it is to todays BSD's where I do it al the time.

> Seems like you don't have the controller available from the OS.
> Have you used the controller anywhere else, so that you know it's
> functioning, and that the CSR is set right?

Yup.  Had RSTS on it when I got it and I tried RT-11 from an
RL and was able to init Packs, copy files and even boot as a DU.
HA LI from the RSTS Startup reports iit's offspring as RA8x disks.

> About the RL drives, I guess we'll just have to assume that you don't have
> more than two units generated in the system,

The same kernel mounts all 4 RL02's under SIMH.  :-(

>                                             unless you have some very
> funny hardware problem.

Maybe I need to crawl in back and check out everything.  Could the
terminator getting knocked loose cause this??  It's interesting that
it isn't a particular drive that doesn't whow up, it is the highest
numbered unit.  Unless I am looking at this wrong.  Do the numbers
assigned by the Unit Plug coincide with the dev number or does it
just assign devices sequentially for each drive it sees?  In other
words, if I had a unit with a 0 plug and a 3 plug would that show
up as /dev/rl0 and /dev/rl3 or as /dev/rl0 and /dev/rl1?
Hope that's understandable....

bill

bill at cs.scranton.edu     |  and a sheep voting on what's for dinner.
University of Scranton   |