[pups] Making a TK50 2.11BSD boot tape for an 11/73

David Evans dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Fri Jan 17 02:06:43 AEST 2003

On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 07:53:02AM -0800, Andru Luvisi wrote:
> maketape will pad each of "mtboot", "mtboot", and "boot" out to an even
> length of 512 bytes.  The "cat | dd" method will not pad the first two
> out.

  Ahhh--of course.  One would have to do a series of "dd"s in order to
get the padding happening.

> I discovered this while trying to create a bootable tape image for simh.
> I needed to emulate the maketape behavior for it to work.

  That's not a bad idea.  Perhaps I should just make a minimal bootable image
using simh or such, dd it to a SCSI disk, and then attach that to my 11/73.
Might be easier than endless futzing with the TK50.

David Evans          (NeXTMail/MIME OK)             dfevans at bbcr.uwaterloo.ca
Ph.D. Candidate, Computer/Synth Junkie     http://bbcr.uwaterloo.ca/~dfevans/
University of Waterloo         "Default is the value selected by the composer
Ontario, Canada           overridden by your command." - Roland TR-707 Manual