[pups] Making a TK50 2.11BSD boot tape for an 11/73

Andru Luvisi luvisi at andru.sonoma.edu
Fri Jan 17 03:34:16 AEST 2003

On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, David Evans wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 16, 2003 at 07:53:02AM -0800, Andru Luvisi wrote:
> > maketape will pad each of "mtboot", "mtboot", and "boot" out to an even
> > length of 512 bytes.  The "cat | dd" method will not pad the first two
> > out.
> >

>   Ahhh--of course.  One would have to do a series of "dd"s in order to
> get the padding happening.

But then they would end up in separate tape files.  :-(

> > I discovered this while trying to create a bootable tape image for simh.
> > I needed to emulate the maketape behavior for it to work.
> >

>   That's not a bad idea.  Perhaps I should just make a minimal bootable image
> using simh or such, dd it to a SCSI disk, and then attach that to my 11/73.
> Might be easier than endless futzing with the TK50.

I already made one.  It's part of
http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/PDP-11/Boot_Images/2.11_on_Simh/211bsd.tar.gz
along with the Perl script I wrote to make it.

Andru
--
Andru Luvisi, Programmer/Analyst

Quote Of The Moment:
  I'm not normal.  I know it.  I don't care!
       - Ace Of Base