[pups] Re: Concurrent Pascal, Solo OS, et al

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Sat Jun 7 19:55:11 AEST 2003

Firstly, many thanks.  I've downloaded it, and will get on to it right away.

Re: Command laguage - judging from what the book "The Architecture of
Concurrent Programs" says, I always assumed that the job control language was
pascal itself,  eg, pg 70, 71:

"if the user forgets which programs are available, he may for example type:
	help
(or anything else).  The system responds by writing
	not executable, try
	list(catalog, seqcode, console)
The suggested command lists the names of all sequential programs on the
console."

"Still more information about a program can be gained by reading its manual
	copy(readman, console)
"
and, pg 75:

"The program does not know whether it is being called by another program or
directly from the console."

Thus like the LispMachine, the operating system is user-extensible.

If it's any help, I've got the book, and it does contain a brief section on
usage - I'm sure I could make a valid case for Fair Use if I copied the user
HOWTO out and posted it on my web site as a HOWTO for anyone as interested as
me in Concurrent Pascal and Solo - understanding that the section is only 9
pages long, and about 4 of those are half-pages.  Thus it is obvious I am not
intending to copy the entire book and thus bilk Prentice-Hall out of sales.

Only thing is, I need to get in touch with Prentice-Hall, the publishers, to
put my case to them.

Anyone know the name of the person I should get in touch with?

Wesley Parish

On Sat, 07 Jun 2003 13:20, Al Kossow wrote:
> I've located the SOLO RK05 disc image. I tested it with
> SIMH, and it appears to work. The command language is a
> bit opaque; it would be a great help if you could find
> out if they might still have the documentation, even if
> they didn't have the code itself.
>
> Hopefully, Bob Supnik can get permission to add this
> to the SIMH software archive.
>
> the image temporarily at www.spies.com/aek/solo.dsk
>
> ---
>
> LIST(CATALOG,ALL,CONSOLE)
> CONSOLE:
> SOLO SYSTEM FILES

<snip>

> PUPS mailing list
> PUPS at minnie.tuhs.org

Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"
You ask, "What is the most important thing?"
Maku e ki, "He tangata, he tangata, he tangata."
I reply, "It is people, it is people, it is people."