[TUHS] System V

Sebastien Loisel loisel at math.mcgill.ca
Tue Jun 24 04:27:10 AEST 2003

Hello,

I have located 30 boot floppies for AT&T UNIX SVR4.0 2.1 for the 386
Apparently, only SCSI hard drive controllers are supported. I don't have a
machine with a SCSI hard drive (and I'd rather not sacrifice a live
machine to svr4.)

I tried booting in in bochs, and it sort of works, but it panics
relatively early. I suspect it's for the lack of SCSI emulation in bochs,
but I'm not sure.

I'm trying to find whatever source code there is on those floppies. I've
grepped through the disk images, and I did find some source code in the
clear. However, I suspect I haven't yet found the kernel source (which is
what I'm after.) Disks 13 and 14 have an actual filesystem on them, but
many (all?) of the other disks appear to be laid out as flat arrays of
bytes without much (any?) filesystem information. The fs on disks 13 and
14 doesn't appear to be completely standard sysv, at least according to my
rh8 box.

Anyone knows enough about this operating system to help me out? Perhaps
some hints as to where the kernel sources might be located, how they are
encoded? (I hope the kernel sources are in fact on the disks!)

Sebastien Loisel