[TUHS] Unix Derivatives and Variants

Warren Toomey wkt at tuhs.org
Wed Jun 25 08:22:13 AEST 2003

I'm not sure why mailman rejected this e-mail. Anyway, here it is.
	Warren

 Subject: RE: [TUHS] Getting UNIXs for 16-bit 8086
 Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:39:11 -0700
 From: "Ian King" <iking at windows.microsoft.com>
 To: "Natalia Portillo" <iosglpgc at teleline.es>, <tuhs at minnie.tuhs.org>

I'm trying to discern the difference between a variant and a derivative.
:-)  Yes, we can trace back to the One True UNIX, but after things
started branching it gets pretty confusing.  It's possibly an
indefensible taxonomy to distinguish a 'variant' (Coherent?  XINU?) from
a derivative (which would encompass any BSD forms, I guess).

FWIW, a while back someone was selling XINU ported to 8086 (I recall
buying a set of 5-1/4" source disks a thousand or so years ago).  Is
that more the sort of thing you're looking for?  The current version(s)
of XINU are available at http://www.cs.purdue.edu/homes/dec/xsoft.html,
according to Google.  -- Ian