[pups] 2BSD build problem - unix.o not too big

Ian King iking at killthewabbit.org
Mon Mar 17 16:13:55 AEST 2003

Steven,

I'm building a 2.11BSD kernel on my 11/73 (so I can include the networking
code and put my machine on the LAN!), and I'm seeing the error "too big for
type 431".  Through the wonders of Google, I saw your discussion of this
error and followed your advice (from 1996!).  However, when I ask 'size
unix.o', I get a size comfortably within the limits for base - 50112, well
below the 57344 you cite.  None of the overlays exceeds 8192, and the 'total
text' figure is well below your example, too.  FWIW, I did a 'naive build'
first, copying GENERIC and changing a few parameters; after seeing the error
'text segment too big' I went through the config file with a little more
thought and eliminated drivers I clearly didn't need (I don't have RL01/02s,
for instance).  Then I started getting this error.  I did a 'make clean'
just to be sure, but still make gives me the 'too big for type 431' error.
(Yes, I RTFM on ld.)

I am standing here beside myself.  :-)  And I am humbly soliciting
suggestions....  -- Ian

PS: I'm at patch level 431, per the VERSION file.