[pups] Re: Condition of 2BSD

Michael Giegerich migieger at bawue.de
Thu Mar 20 12:27:51 AEST 2003

On Thu, Mar 20, 2003 at 10:38:03AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> On Wednesday, 19 March 2003 at  9:40:30 -0800, Steven M. Schultz wrote:
> > 	But is 2BSD free?   That I don't know.  It is more free than it was
> > 	a long time ago but
>
> After Caldera released the Ancient UNIX license last January, 2BSD
> must be free, unless I'm missing something.

IMHO Caldera/SCO could only release the AT&T part
of xBSD. To release xBSD completely the UCB would
have to do this formally...

Caveats: haven't Caldera/SCO pulled back this re-
lease (IIRC I saw something like that when I vi-
sited their web site; reason whatever "abuse").

Also these releases from them used to be for per-
sonal, education/research use and thus would re-
strict the scope of their release. At least this
was the case when you had still to apply in wri-
ting to SCO.

I guess UCB wouldn't like again to test the current
status quo at court...