[TUHS] SCO sues IBM?

Wesley Parish wes.parish at paradise.net.nz
Tue Mar 11 07:52:21 AEST 2003

Well, the impression I got from IBM re: AIX and Linux's relationship, was that
they were going to give AIX a Linux makeover so that they could maintain an
apparently unified Un*xish shop - as far as AIX and Linux _are_ Un*ces, that
is!

How that gets interpreted as importing Un*x trade secrets into Linux, I have
no idea.

I also thought IBM was going to allow some of their mainframe high
availability ideas to influence Linux - not through direct porting of the
code - VM/ESA is apparently written in PL/I, and I doubt that most Linux
programmers would touch that with a barge-pole.  And a waldo at a workplace
on a planet on the other side of the galaxy.  Or universe.

I myself wanted to get some information on the internal structure - ie, the
part that gets passed between the SFS client and the Reusable Kernel Server -
of the VM/ESA Shared File System way back when, and was told in no uncertain
terms, not to bother trying.

I don't see SCO has much chance of doing anything except causing a bit of
unwelcome disruption and - I hope - getting bought out at bargain basement
prices by IBM and getting the entire Un*x source tree BSDed or LGPLed to stop
all this useless nonsense at the "source".  Or at the "sauce", to give it a
rather appropriate spin.

Wesley Parish

<snip>

--
Mau e ki, "He aha te mea nui?"
You ask, "What is the most important thing?"