[TUHS] SCO & Caldera?

Warren Toomey wkt at minnie.tuhs.org
Wed Mar 12 09:27:13 AEST 2003

On Wed, Mar 12, 2003 at 09:15:00AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> > FWIW I too paid $100 for an ancient Unix license, and I've got the
> > System III stuff that licensees had access to.
>
> Hmmm.  That's a point.  Does the Ancient UNIX license cover more than
> last year's release?
> Greg

The US$100 SCO Ancient UNIX license had this clause:

    The SOURCE CODE PRODUCTS to which SCO grants rights under this
    Agreement are restricted to the following UNIX Operating Systems,
    including SUCCESSOR OPERATING SYSTEMs, that operate on the 16-Bit
    PDP-11 CPU and early versions of the 32-Bit UNIX Operating System
    with specific exclusion of UNIX System V and successor operating
    systems:

    16-Bit  UNIX Editions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
    32-bit  32V

    [ http://minnie.tuhs.org/PUPS/sco_license.txt ]

This implies that System III on the PDP11 is covered by this license,
as SCO has the legal rights to System III and it is a SUCCESSOR
OPERATING SYSTEM.

The BSD-style Caldera license has this clause:

   The source code for which Caldera International, Inc. grants rights are
   limited to the following UNIX Operating Systems that operate on the
   16-Bit PDP-11 CPU and early versions of the 32-Bit UNIX Operating System,
   with specific exclusion of UNIX System III and UNIX System V and
   successor operating systems:

   32-bit  32V UNIX
   16 bit  UNIX Versions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

   [ http://www.tuhs.org/Archive/Caldera-license.pdf ]

So the new license specifically prohibits System III, whereas the Ancient UNIX
license implicitly permitted System III.

	Warren