[TUHS] Russian Ancient UNIX stuff in the Archive

Warren Toomey wkt at minnie.tuhs.org
Tue Mar 18 10:26:15 AEST 2003

On Mon, Mar 17, 2003 at 11:18:15AM -0800, Michael Sokolov wrote:
> I am trying to russify my flagship UNIX (4.3BSD-Quasijarus) and I'm adding/
> fixing 8-bit support in various parts of the system, and I got stuck on ex/vi.
> The sucker just won't handle 8-bit chars. Since my job is to maintain Ancient
> UNIX (my flavor thereof) rather than replace it, replacing the original ex/vi
> with one of the modern reimplementations is not an option. I need to massage
> 8-bit support into the existing original Berkeley ex/vi with as few changes as
> possible.
>
> A friend of mine told me that Back in The Days the first UNIX users in the then
> USSR were running patched (russified) 2.xBSD on Soviet PDP-11s and had KOI-8
> for Russian. Since the flagship editor on <any>BSD is ex/vi, this makes me
> think that those early Russian users used it and thus their patches
> accomplished just what I need. And so I'm looking for those patches. TIA for
> any help,
> MS

I have a thing called Demos in a hidden section of the archive, which is
a modified 7th Edition (plus other things?) from Russia. I've hidden it as
the legal status is unclear :-) I'm happy to hand it out to individual
requestors, though. However, I can't find a vi(1) in there:

/usr/Hidden_PUPS/Miscfiles/Russian: du -a | grep vi
1       ./cmd/TUVWXYZ/vipw.sh,v.gz
1       ./cmd/comint/Environment/README.gz
2       ./cmd/comint/Environment/termcap.gz
2       ./cmd/comint/Environment/tuner.gz
3       ./cmd/comint/Environment/minihelp.DEMOS.gz
9       ./cmd/comint/Environment
1       ./cmd/uucp/L-devices.gz
11      ./sys/dev/RCS/video.c,v.gz
6       ./sys/dev/RCS/vikey.c,v.gz
7       ./sys/dev/video.c.gz
1       ./sys/include/video.h.gz
3       ./sys/stand/libsa/RCS/video.c,v.gz
2       ./sys/stand/libsa/video.c.gz

and a grep on `ex' gives nothing either.

	Warren