[pups] 2.11BSD device config trouble

Steven M. Schultz sms at 2BSD.COM
Thu May 1 14:04:30 AEST 2003

Hi -

> From: Carl Lowenstein <cdl at mpl.ucsd.edu>
> > > [...]
> >
> > 	I did the the same thing - wondered why I could never get a clean
> > 	file system.   Then I realized what was going on.
>
> Isn't this really true of Unix systems of any age, when doing fsck
> on a mounted root file system?

	Not really.  Newer systems mount the root filesystem read-only
	while running fsck.   After the filesystem is verified as clean
	then it is upgraded to read-write.

	Older systems such as 2BSD can't run with a read-only root
	filesystem that I know of.   At least not easily/happily.   Might be
	possible (the ability to upgrade a ro mount to rw is present) but
	it's never been a priority to look into it ;)

	Cheers,
	Steven Schultz