[TUHS] SCO vs. IBM: NOVELL steps up to the plate

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at lemis.com
Fri May 30 11:20:30 AEST 2003

On Friday, 30 May 2003 at 11:01:26 +1000, Warren Toomey wrote:
> On Fri, May 30, 2003 at 10:07:46AM +0930, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> There are plenty of cases where you need to initialize a data
>> structure.  Many data structures are public knowledge, and
>> initialization is a brainless enough task that the code could have
>> been written independently and look almost the same.  Does this line
>> ring a bell?
>>
>> 	(*bdevsw[major(bp->b_dev)].d_strategy) (bp);
>
> And you've got to watch out for these ones, which have been around
> since 1973:
>
> #define EPERM           1               /* Operation not permitted */
> #define ENOENT          2               /* No such file or directory */
> #define ESRCH           3               /* No such process */
> #define EINTR           4               /* Interrupted system call */
>
> So that that extent, there is real UNIX code in Linux 8-)

Heh.  Also in the Third Edition:

/src/UNIX/PDP-11/Third-Edition/dmr/bio.c:       (*bdevsw[dev.d_major].d_strategy)(rbp);
/src/UNIX/PDP-11/Third-Edition/dmr/bio.c:       (*bdevsw[rbp->b_dev.d_major].d_strategy)(rbp);

Yes, this is the reason why I asked Kieran if it was really UnixWare
or UNIX System V.  They need to prove where the code originally came
from before they have any kind of case.

Greg
--
Finger grog at lemis.com for PGP public key