32V update (was Re: [TUHS] While on the subject of 32V ...)

Pat Villani Pat.Villani at hp.com
Sat Nov 1 00:26:33 AEST 2003

Silly lawyers :-)  I know I'm good, but building in all the HP-UX
features in a few months?  Not that good (or modest for that matter).

Hm, 32V-x86 huh?  Maybe, but I'd like to make it fairly portable and
have a number of targets built from the same source tree.  I don't know
if that will ever happen, but I don't want to design it out either by
name or file partitioning.  Maybe we can address the project name at a
later date.

I'll keep the VAX port alive throughout the project by making sure I can
cross compile a clean VAX kernel at every milestone.  There may still be
a VAX in the building somewhere.  Even if one was around, I won't be
testing the VAX port thanks to HP legal.  We're now cleaning house of
alpha systems, so a VAX is almost impossible to locate.  Darn mergers
keeps wiping them out, like that asteroid and dinosaurs years ago ;-)

Progress: I'm working on the make file.  I'm trying to get a clean build
by substituting stubs for the VAX code I ripped out.  Once done, I can
concentrate on x86 equivalents.

Device drivers: I have keyboard and character cell VGA code I can use.
I had been planning on adapting the Hale Landis ATA code from
http://www.ata-atapi.com/, and the Thix floppy driver from
http://www.hulubei.net/tudor/thix/ is probably a good piece of code to
model the 32V driver on.

Pat