[TUHS] Re: 4.3 BSD version in the Unix Archive

Markus Weber jmbw at nather.com
Thu Oct 2 07:07:34 AEST 2003

>From: Kenneth Stailey [mailto:kstailey at yahoo.com]

>My first guess would be that there should be more "volatile" keywords used.
>think the printf()s cause the compiler to not discard some varibles.  Does
it
>work without the printf()s if you don't use "-O" (or "-O2", etc)
optimization?
>I think gcc does not elminitate varibles ever when the code is not
optimized.

Doesn't seem to make a difference, but I'll double-check.

I could be wrong, but I believe the printf will return as soon as the
physical output of the message has started - if so, it can very conceivably
affect the "real-time" behaviour of the code interfacing with the RQDX3.
Just a guess.
---