[TUHS] Lexical comparator, was Re: the battle against SCO

Rhys Weatherley rweather at zip.com.au
Tue Sep 16 10:46:49 AEST 2003

On Tuesday 16 September 2003 08:48 am, Warren Toomey wrote:

> While we're on the topic, I saw esr's code shredder/comparator that works
> on lines of code. This isn't going to work if variables get renamed etc.

I'd like to point out that the more steps that are taken to factor out
identifier names, whitespace conventions, etc, the closer you approach a
situation where the tool says "both programs are written in the same
programming language" or "both programs use binary searching somewhere in
their code".  Which, while true, isn't terribly useful to know.  A human
being still needs to wade through the results and inspect them manually.

Cheers,

Rhys Weatherley.