[TUHS] Lexical comparator, was Re: the battle against SCO

Robert Brockway robert at timetraveller.org
Tue Sep 16 11:35:12 AEST 2003

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003, Norman Wilson wrote:

> possible that licensed code got into the system.  Even legally it

Hi.  Don't want to nitpick here but many of us think it is important to
get this point straight whenever we are talking about GPLed code.  The
kernel is licenced (as I'm sure you know).  What we are of course
concerned about is:

a) Code which is licenced in a manner incompatible with the GPL

b) Code that the copyright holder did not authorise going into the kernel.

I'm sure you were just speaking in shorthand but it is subtle point that
many misinterpret.  Many people outside the OSS community think that "all
that free code" is in the public domain, which it is most definately not.

> Norman Wilson
> Toronto ON

A fellow Torontonian, perhaps we may meet at TLUG sometime.  I'm giving
the next talk.

Cheers,
	Rob

--