[TUHS] Re: 4.3 BSD version in the Unix Archive

Markus Weber jmbw at nather.com
Sat Sep 27 03:48:31 AEST 2003

Thanks for the help.

So far I managed to uncompress the files with the custom version of compress
on NetBSD/simh. I then created a .tap file according to the reference in
FORMAT.

I'm using the following config file for simh 3.0.1:

load -r ka655.bin
set rq0 ra82
at rq0 ra82.dsk
set tq tk50
at tq0 quasijarus0a-dist.tap
boot cpu

Here's a transcript of the very first attempt of booting off the tape:

$ ./vax 43cfg

VAX simulator V3.0-1

KA655-B V5.3, VMB 2.7
Performing normal system tests.
40..39..38..37..36..35..34..33..32..31..30..29..28..27..26..25..
24..23..22..21..20..19..18..17..16..15..14..13..12..11..10..09..
08..07..06..05..04..03..
Tests completed.
>>>boot mua0:
(BOOT/R5:0 MUA0

  2..
-MUA0
  1..0..

=

Clearly, stand boots. I'm hopeful that 4.3-Quasijarus0a will indeed run on
simh.

For some follow-up questions... Standalone format supports hp and up disks,
but simh only emulates RL and RQ controllers - which means that the Ultrix
utilities to label a cold disk must be ported or recreated to the simh host
platform. Of course, it may well be that applying a hex editor to the disk
image will suffice.

Am I correct that Quasijarus supports RA82 disks (using the ra type) and the
TK50 tape (as a tms)?

Markus