[TUHS] is learn(1) free now?

Kenneth Stailey kstailey at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 3 00:17:52 AEST 2004

Hi,

When 4.4BSD-lite was released one of the 4.4BSD encumbered things that was cut
was the online courseware program, learn(1).  When I purchased my copy of _The
CSRG Archives_ CDROM set I was told in E-mail by McKusick that I did not need
to sign any license agreements.  I am assuming that this is due to Caldera
proclaiming that V32 sources and binaries could be redistributed by the public
legally.  In the CDROM set is a fully encumbered 4.4BSD source tree which
includes the learn(1) source code.  I spent a few hours last night porting it
to NetBSD and FreeBSD and tightening up a few bits like gets() vs. fgets().  I
haven't finished and have yet to distributed the results.  I also have yet to
get the vi lesson data which the source code that I do have says came on a
separate user-contributed tape.

I got here because I have newbies in my life now and I need UNIX online
courseware.  The only thing I could find in the FreeBSD ports tree was
something called vilearn.

I'm wondering about distributing the results of my porting effort once it
matures enough to be worth doing so.

Thanks,
Ken