[TUHS] is learn(1) free now?

Michael Sokolov msokolov at ivan.Harhan.ORG
Sat Jan 3 06:40:12 AEST 2004

Kenneth Stailey <kstailey at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Warren, I see that there is a 4.4BSD-Alpha subdir in the TUHS archive.  Do you
> want a final CSRG 4.4BSD tape to add there too?

I would definitely want an image of the 4.4BSD tape too!  But I do mean *tape*,
not what's on Kirk's CD-ROM.  I'm talking about a record-for-record image of
the Official Release Master tape.

> Thanks, I have to go through your archive for it now.

Actually I just took a closer look and it has been in the distributed
/usr/lib/learn since 4.3BSD, it was just never added to /usr/src/usr.lib/learn
for some reason (not even in Quasijarus, I probably didn't notice it).  So you
don't have to go through the pain of downloading a dist from Harhan to pull it
out of there, you can just take it from your CD-ROM set.

> It's so difficult being you.

:-)

> I was able to save myself the time by
> using the 4.4BSD version of learn(1) since it has already been
> modified for CRT terminals.  You will have to re-invent the wheel
> because of your politics.

Well I'll take a look at what they did to learn in 4.4BSD and see if any of it
is acceptable for Quasijarus.  Hopefully I won't have to reinvent the wheel.
I believe in adding new features without breaking or disturbing historical
stuff.  It feels so great knowing that my current modern OS (last release
2003-12-07 counts as current and modern to me) still has nearly all original V7
UNIX code almost completely untouched.  It's what gives me the right to call it
UNIX.

As far as learn goes I think I would need to add new lessons for UNIX on a CRT
or some options or somesuch, but I do NOT want to remove the facility for
teaching UNIX on a hardcopy tty.  That's such a gem, it should be kept!

MS