[TUHS] Re: History of "sno" Snobol interpreter (V4, Sys V?)

dmr at plan9.bell-labs.com dmr at plan9.bell-labs.com
Fri Jun 25 14:11:04 AEST 2004

Shoppa wondered,

  Can anyone comment about the history of the "sno" Snobol
  interpreter that seems to exist in V4 (man page in the
  archives gives 2/7/93 as the date) and some later
  Unix versions (Sys V, V6, etc.)?  In the TUHS archives
  we have the V6 sources but they are remarkably comment-
  free.

  Was "sno" ever part of the build chain of any interesting
  utilities etc?

Not that I know of; I think writing it was just a quick entertainment
for Ken.  The "application" that has survived is a
1-page program that solves the Soma (or Instant Insanity)
puzzle.

	Dennis